The hotel card that frequent travelers will find very attractive.
With this card you’ll get good rewards rates as well as lots of redemption options to choose from and a list of airline partners with loyalty programs. We believe this is one of the best hotel cards available at the market and a perfect choice for those who prefer staying at top-class hotels.
- APR Special Offer: No offer for this card.
- Standard APR from 16.24% to 20.24%. The rate can vary. Cash Advance APR amounts to 26.24%, but it’s also a subject to changes. If you fail to pay off on time, you’ll have to pay the APR of 29.99% The rate may be changed according to your credit score.
- There is no fee to pay for the first 12 months, but you’ll have to pay the fee of $95 after that.
- Special Offer: In case you spend as much as $3,000 within the first 3 months, you’ll be rewarded 25,000 Starpoints®. The offer is a subject to certain terms.
Perks associated with the card:
- You’ll be able to take advantage of the above-average effective rewards rates
- There are lots of redemption options. You’ll definitely find an option that’ll allow you to get the highest value for your points.
- You’re free to make as many purchases with the card while travelling as you want. There is no additional fee for these operations.
- A very appealing sign-up bonus
Drawbacks that come with the card:
- You have to pay annual fee
- Keep in mind that the rewards program may soon change. This is due to the fact that Starwood was acquired by Marriott.
- For some people it may be hard to get the card since the required credit score should either be good or excellent.
More information on the card:
- Once you get the card, make sure you’ll qualify for the sign-up bonus promised. Actually, it’s not that hard to get it.
- It’s important to point out that you’re rewarded double bonus points for the purchases at SPG and Marriott’s places.
- The card is a great option for travelers since it’s possible to use it while travelling and not worry about the additional charges to pay.
- The card implies no restrictions or limitations in terms of booking a flight. You’re free to do it when and how you want. The redemption structure allows you to use your points so that to pay for hotels and you flight tickets.
- The fee you’re to pay each year for using the card applies starting from the 2nd year ($95).
- You often travel with your family? The card offers rewards for gasoline and car rental purchases. Consequently, if you have this card, it’ll be very beneficial for you to travel together with a big family. You’ll be able to save some money towards your next trips.
- We encourage you to read through the corresponding terms before applying for this card.
Basic features of the card and its advantages to keep in mind
All cardholders of this card are rewarded according to the following rates: 5 Starpoints / $1 (spent on purchases at SPG hotels), 2 Starpoints / $1 (spent on purchases at Marriott places) and 1 point / $1 (for any other purchase you decide to make with the card).
Apart from the basic information about this card, there are certain reasons that contribute to your decision in terms of getting it. They are as follows:
- The value of the points earned with the card is confirmed to be higher than the standard value. If you already know some facts about the travel cards available at the market currently, you may come to the conclusion that this card has nothing amazing to offer as far as the rewards rates go. The truth is that the thing that makes the card so outstanding is the value you get for your points. The majority of other travel cards out there offer the value of 1 cent / 1 point or even less. This card implies the value of its points that amounts to 2.3 cents. Do you see it now? If you qualify for the sign-up bonus, you’ll get a big value for it. (Remember that the card offers a very generous reward of 25,000 points in case you meet certain requirements mentioned above). We want to draw your attention to the fact that almost all the redemption options offered by the card allow you to get the value of more than 1 cent for each of the points you have.
- The card comes wit a long list of airline partners with loyalty programs. As a rule, most of the passionate travelers prefer to have a card that gives certain freedom when it comes down to booking tickets with airlines and paying for them with the points they have. There are more than 30 airline partners with loyalty programs in which you can take part. The card lets you transfer the points you have without any loss of value. However, there is one thing that you should pay close attention to. If you decide to convert your points into miles, you need to have at least 20,000 points accumulated on your account. Each time you carry out an operation like that, you’ll be rewarded additional 5,000 Starpoints.
- The card has 2 Elite statuses that you have a chance to get. Once you get the card, you’ll be rewarded 2 stays and 5 nights each year that serve as one step on the way to either Gold or Platinum status. In case you spend big sums of money regularly, you’re very likely to be granted the Gold status automatically (you need to spend at least $30,000 within 1 year to be granted the status). If your aim is to get one of the statuses implies with the card it’ll be interesting for you to know that the Gold status is granted for those cardholders who have 10 eligible stays or 25 eligible nights in one year. As for the Platinum status, it requires a cardholder to have either s25 eligible stays or 50 eligible nights within the same period of time.
Once you get one of the statuses, you’re to expect a number of exclusive perks including late check–out, upgrades of your room and gifts.
- The card gives you a free access to Wi-Fi. If you need to be online whole travelling, this card will be very beneficial for you. We are speaking about the fact that all its cardholders are granted a free access to Boingo hotspots all over the world. As a rule, the membership costs approximately $10-40 per one month. Besides, if you stay at one of the SPG hotels, you’ll have a free Wi-Fi in your room.
The reasons for you to consider applying for a different card and other options you may be interested in
Actually, it’s almost next to impossible to find a single card that has no drawbacks at all. The drawback mentioned below may have an impact on your decision in terms of whether or not this card is just what you’re looking for. That’s why we encourage you to take it seriously.
- The list of the hotel places offered by the card isn’t that long. We think it’s better for you to apply for the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card if you think that the hotel options provided by Starwood aren’t enough. Actually, Marriott acquired Starwood back in 2016, but the process of merging is still going on. If you get the Marriott card, offers fare rewards rates, but a lower value for the points you earn (approximately 1 cent per point). However, the card has one of the biggest sign-up bonuses a potential cardholder can get – 80,000 bonus points will be given to you in case you spend at least $3,000 within the first 3 months of using the card. By the way, due to the process of merging you’re able to earn Starpoints when using the Starwood card at Marriott places. The crux of the matter is that you can’t use them to pay for your stay at a Marriott hotel. You can redeem the Starpoints you have in order to use them for SPG hotels. Well, that doesn’t seem to be like a big deal. You are allowed to convert your Starpoints into Marriott rewards at the ratio you’ve never dreaned about. For 1 Strpoint you’ll get 3 Marriott rewards.
Summary: Is the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express the best option for you?
Those travelers who book domestic flights often and prefer staying at luxury hotels will definitely find the card very attractive. If you’re the one looking for a high value in terms of the points you earn, lots of redemption options to choose from and an opportunity to transfer the points to a number of airline partners, don’t hesitate to apply for this card.