The card that allows you to earn as much Membership Rewards as possible.
The Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express is the card that grants you a certain status along with a set of perks and rewards for those looking for a big credit line. This card gives you an opportunity to earn rewards not only for flights, but also for the purchases you make everyday. Below you’ll find detailed information on the card that you should read through before making your final decision.
General information on the card
- You get a high effective rewards rate that applies for the purchases made in certain categories.
- You’re not expected to pay any fee for paying with the card when abroad.
- You get an airline credit along with the hotel upgrades. Your credit can also be upgraded.
- The card comes with a set of transfer partners.
- Starting from the 2nd year of using the card, you’re expected to pay an annual fee.
- You may have problems when paying with the card at certain locations since AMEX cards are not accepted widely.
- You get access to lounges, but there is no possibility for you to get membership.
- Special offer concerning APR: No offer for this card.
- Standard APR – no APR.
- There is an annual fee of $195 that applies starting from the 2nd year of you using the card.
- Special Offer: You can get 25,000 Membership Rewards® in case you spend $2,000 during the first 3 months of using the card. The offer is a subject to certain terms.
More details concerning the card:
- You can get a rather big bonus if you meet the requirement mentioned above.
- With this card you can forget about the need to pay any fees for the purchases made abroad.
- The card rewards you 3x points each time you book flights directly with airlines. It also rewards you 2x points for the purchases mad at the US restaurants, gas stations and supermarkets. For all the other purchases you decide to make with the4 card, you’ll get 1z points.
- Each year you’re provided with the airline credit of $100 that can be used to pay for baggage fees at a certain airline.
- There is no annual fee to pay during the first year of using the card. After that, the fee of $195 applies.
- You’re provided with a hotel credit of $75 that can be used to pay for the nights you spend at the qualifying hotels. In case a room upgrade is available, you’ll get it once you arrive at the chosen location.
- The card’s acceptance is being expanded. Currently, more than 1 million places across the US accept the card.
- The offers that come with the card are subjects to certain terms.
Basic features of the card and its advantages
It should be pointed out that the card offers one of the highest effective rewards rates among other ANEX cards. You’ll get 3x points for every purchase of flights made directly with airlines and 2x points for any kind of purchases made at the US supermarkets, gas stations and restaurants. All the rest purchases will bring you 1x purchases. To make things even better for you, the card has a rather appealing sign-up bonus to offer. It’s stated that you’ll be rewarded 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points under the condition that you manage to spend $2,000 with the card. Keep in mind that there is a certain time limit. You need too spend the sum mentioned during the period of the first 3 months of using the card in order to get the bonus.
Even though there applies an annual fee of $195 starting from the 2nd year of you using the card, it’s not a big deal if you plan to use the card regularly. If you do it, you’ll earn enough rewards to make up for the annual fee. Besides, if you manage to spend with the card as much as $3,200 each year after you get the sign-up bonus, you’ll be rewarded $100 airline credit. However, there is one important thing about the card that you shouldn’t forget. You’d better pay your purchases in full every month in order not to pay any extra charges.
Below we provide a short description of the card’s advantages that make it outstanding to potential cardholders.
- The card gives you an opportunity to get $100 airline credit. This credit will be enough for you to pay for baggage fees, passes for everyday lounge access as well as purchases you make during the flight. If you the one who is passionate about travelling, you’ll easily spend this credit in full.
- The card comes with a set of transfer partners. There is an opportunity for you to transfer the points you earn with the card to a number of partnership programs. Sometimes, you’re even able to transfer them at 1:1 ratio. Consequently, the card is very beneficial for you in case you’re the one who is already taking part in a number of loyalty programs. If you aim to get the best value out of the points you have, you’ll be to do that as well. Some programs imply that the value of each of your points amounts to 2 cents. However, you need to be patient enough to find such like programs.
- The card implies the possibility of hotel and credits upgrades. The card offers you the following: if you book 2 or more consecutive nights at one of the hotels included in the Hotel Collection, you’ll be rewarded $75. This sum can be spent on some activities at a hotel where you choose to stay, including a possibility to upgrade your room if it’s available. Pay attention to the fact that some hotels included in the Collection are one of the most expensive hotels in the world.
Overall, the card is just ideal for passionate travelers who don’t mind paying their purchases in full every month.
The reasons for you to consider applying for a different card
Even though the card offers some outstanding benefits, it can’t be perfect for everyone. Before you make your final decision, we encourage you to consider the drawbacks of the card as well as a number of other options that may be better for you.
- The card isn’t accepted widely. Since this card isn’t Visa or MasterCard, some problems may occur if you try using it outside of the US. There is no fee for the purchases made with the card abroad. It’s great. Still, you’d better have an additional card with you while travelling just in order to be on the safe side.
- The card implies a low value in case you choose to redeem your points as a statement credit. The card gives you an opportunity to redeem the points earned as a statement credit. However, there is something you need to know about the option. In case you choose to get your points redeemed as a statement credit, the value of each of the points will amount to only 0,6 cents. This is certainly not much. If you prefer redeeming your rewards as a statement credit, you may be interested in learning more about the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express. It allows you to redeem at a better rate.
The card also offers cash back of 6% for the purchases made at the US supermarket. Once you hit the cap of $6,000 (per year), the rate of 1% applies. Besides, you’ll get 3% cash back for the purchases made with the card at the US selected department stores and gas stations. All the rest purchases will bring you the cash back of 1%. There is a sign-up bonus of $200 statement credit waiting for you. You may have doubts about whether the card is worth applying for or not because of its $95 annual fee. Well, you’ll easily make up for it in case you spend at least 41,600 buying things at the US supermarkets in a year.
- The card doesn’t grant you lounge membership. Of course, there is $100 airline credit that you can spend on buying everyday lounge passes. However, the sum will be only enough to pay 2 passes not more. If you’re the one preferring to enjoy the perk of being able to visit airport lounges every time you have to fly somewhere, you’d better pay attention to the Platinum Card® from American Express.
The card grants you a free access to lots of airport lounges all over the world including the ones that come under the Priority Pass Select. Even though there is a rather high annual fee of $550 to pay each year, it’s not a problem for those using the card regularly and those who want to have access to premium lounges. With this card you’re also to expect $200 airline credit provided to you annually. This credit can be used to pay for baggage fees, purchases you make during the flight and a number of other incidentals. You also will be rewarded a big sign-up bonus of 60,000 Membership Rewards® points in case you manage to spend $5,000 with the card during the period of time of the first 3 months after you open an account. You’ll also get fair effective rewards rates. Each time you book flights directly with airlines or on the AMEX Travel point, each dollar spent will amount to 5 points. As for hotels, if you book them via the official AMEX portal, you’ll get 2 points for each dollar spent. All the rest purchases will bring you 1 point per dollar.
Summary: Is the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express worth paying attention to?
If you’re the one who has to fly very often to different cities and you need a card that offers flexibility in terms of redemption options and an opportunity to earn rewards quickly, this card is your ideal option. At the same time, if you’re not sure that you’re fine with booking flights directly with airlines and you don’t travel that much, you’d better continue looking for the card that’ll meet your needs. No doubt there are cards out there that are more advantageous for you in this case.