With this card you can be sure that your next trip will go just the way it should.
If you’re the one looking for a credit card that allows to book trips via the discount travel websites, it’s very likely that you have lots of problems trying to find such a card. We have great news for you. There is one card available at the market now that will allow you to pay for any hotels or flights on these websites using the points you earn. We are talking about the Expedia®+ Card from Citi.
Actually, the card rewards you enough bonuses to pay for your travel expenses. If you take part in the Expedia+ Rewards program, you’ll be able to save a considerable amount of money. Below we provide the most important information on the card for you to consider before applying for it.
General information on the card
- No fee to pay each year.
- A great sign-up bonus.
- The points you earn don’t expire for as long as your account is active.
- Redemption options are limited.
- There is a fee you have to pay when using the card abroad.
- Your credit score should be excellent for you to qualify for the card.
- The APR is rather high.
- There is no annual fee that you’re expected to pay.
- Standard APR amounts to 15.99 – 23.99%. Keep in mind that it may vary based on your creditworthiness. Cash Advance APR amounts to 26.24%, but it may also very. Besides, there is a higher APR that occurs in case you fail to pay off your purchases on time. It my amount up to 29.99%, but it’s also a subject to changes.
- Special Offer: In case you mange to spend as much as $1,000 within the period of time of the first 3 months of using the card, you’ll be rewarded 15,000 Expedia+ bonus points.
- Special Offer in terms of APR: No offer for this card.
More information concerning the card:
- You can get a rather big sign-up bonus in case you meet the requirement mentioned.
- You can redeem your points in order to pay for your stay at a +VIP Access™ hotel.
- In case you use the card to pay for the eligible Expedia purchases (flights, hotels, various activities and even travel packages), you’ll get 3 points for each dollar you spend.
- Any other kinds of purchases with the card, will bring you 1 point per each dollar.
- You’re granted Expedia+ silver status each year. This is to celebrate your anniversary as a cardholder.
- In case you spend at least $2,500 with the card during the period from January to December, you’ll be rewarded one Elite Qualifying Hotel Night towards Expedia+ gold status.
- You’re not expected to pay any fee each year.
- There is a fee of 3% for the purchases made with the card abroad.
- You can enjoy the perks provided to you by the Expedia+ Rewards program.
- There is a great sign-up bonus of 15,000 Expedia+ bonus points waiting for you.
Our opinion: The card is great for you under the condition that you don’t travel abroad very often and you take part in the Expedia+ Rewards program.
The card will be advantageous for:
- People who prefer booking their future trips via Expedia.
- People who don’t travel abroad very often.
- People who are fine with a rather complex redemption and earning bonuses structures.
The card won’t be that great for:
- People who often travel abroad.
- People who don’t like to stay at hotels.
- People who prefer booking their trips via any discount websites as well as those who like booking airline tickets or hotels directly via their official websites.
- People who look for a straightforward earning bonuses and redemption structures.
Basic features of the card
In case you get the card, you’re to expect the following:
- A sign-up bonus of 15,000 Expedia+ bonus provided that you spend $1,000 during the first 3 months of you using the card.
- You get Expedia +silver status automatically each year you own the card (a more detailed information on the feature is provided below).
- You get 3 points for each dollar spent with the card in terms of eligible Expedia purchases. The list of the purchases includes various activities booked on Expedia as well as Expedia Rate hotels, flights and packages. The list of available activities to book is available on the “Things to Do” tab on the Expedia official website.
- All the rest purchases you make with the card will bring you 1 point per dollar spent.
- The card doesn’t require you to pay any annual fee.
- Apart from the points you earn when just using the card, you can get more points if you take part in the Expedia+ Rewards program (we provide information on the program in this article as well).
- You have a chance to get +gold status faster. Each time you spend $2,500 with the card during the period from January to December, you earn 1 Elite Qualifying Hotel Night. In order to qualify for the gold status, you need to either have 15 Elite Qualifying Hotel Nights or spend $10,000 within one year.
Expedia+ silver status and the Rewards program that makes the card even more beneficial for you
Once you become a cardholder of the card, you’ll be automatically granted the silver status in the Rewards program that comes with it. This status will provide you with a set of perks to enjoy.
Apart from the perks, the status also increases the effective rewards rates that apply to your purchases. Here is what you get:
- 2 points for each dollar spent on hotels, different activities, packages and cruises.
- 1 point for each 5 dollars spent on booking flights.
- 1 point for each dollar spent on booking a package of a flight and car rental.
- You get 10% bonus points on all the Expedia+ eligible bookings.
- You’ll be rewarded 250 bonus points in case you decide to book +VIP Access hotel.
- You’ll get 2x bonus points in case you redeem your points with the view of using them to pay for +VIP Access hotels.
The reasons for you to consider applying for the card
Below we provide a short description of the benefits that make the card outstanding and worth paying attention to.
- You have an opportunity to earn lots of points. The card is the winner in terms of that it allows you to earn bonus points really fast. This is possible due to the fact that you’ll earn bonuses by booking via the official Expedia website and by being a member of the Rewards program who is granted the silver status automatically. We’ll provide an example for you to see how easily the bonuses are earned with the card. Let’s say you decide to book a +VIP Access hotel with the card. The hotel, by the way, is included in the list of a +VIP Access hotel. Let’s say the sum you’re to pay amounts to $1,000. Now, let’s make simple calculations:
You get 2,000 points since you’re an Expedia+ Rewards member (2 points for each dollar spent).
You get 3,000 since you are booking an Expedia eligible hotel (3 points for each dollar spent).
You get 200 bonus points since you have a silver status. (10% from the number of bonuses you got for simply being a member of the Rewards program).
You get 250 bonus points since you decided to book a +VIP Access hotel.
To sum up, you get 5,450 bonus points. Sounds great! This is the number of the points you get for just one purchase!
Our note: As a rule, each point earned with the card is 7 cents worth if you choose to use them for booking hotels. However, there is also a way to increase the value mentioned. You’ll get 2x more value for your points if you decide to book a +VIP Access hotel. This is the thing you shouldn’t forget if your aim is to get the most out of using the card.
The reasons for you to consider applying for a different card
Even through the card has some great benefits to offer, it also has a set of drawbacks that you should be aware of before applying for it.
- Your redemption options are limited: Actually, there are only 2 options available for you. For some potential cardholders this may not be enough. With this card it’s only possible to redeem the earned points so that to use them for booking flights and hotels via the official Expedia+ website. If you’re looking for more freedom in terms of redemption, you’d better consider applying for other cards available at the market. Thankfully, there are many cards you can choose from.
- You should be very attentive when booking or redeeming. The fact is that there may be some tricks. This is especially true when you need to book a hotel. Since there are several categories of hotels according to the Expedia categorization, we recommend you to check twice that you’re booking exactly what you need.
Remember that you’ll earn only 4 bonus points for each dollar spent on booking any of the Expedia Rate hotels. It may seem as if almost all the hotels presented on the site fall under this category. The truth is that it’s not really so. You just need to look for the hotels you need better and you’ll find them. As for the redemption process, you shouldn’t forget that you get the best value for the points earned in case you use the to pay for +VIP Access Hotels. Once again, we need to remind you that you should be very attentive when looking for such like hotels.
- There is a fee to pay for the purchases made with the card abroad. This card is definitely not your best choice if you plan to go abroad. For each purchase you make with it while travelling, you’ll have to pay a fee of 3%. This may be a considerable sum of money. Therefore, you need to think twice before taking the card with you abroad.
Expedia®+ Card from Citi in comparison with its competitors
There are lots of cards available at the market. Sometimes there seem to be so many of them that it’s hard to make the final decision and apply for one. The fact that each card comes with its own benefits that are quite attractive only contributes to you struggling to make one right decision. We decided to compare the Expedia®+ Card from Citi with a couple of other cards so that to make the whole process of deciding what your ideal card is easier for you.
Expedia®+ Card from Citi vs. Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card
The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card comes with a wide variety of benefits in terms of travelling. There is no fee you’re expected to pay each year as well as no fee to pay for the purchases made with the card while you’re abroad. Besides, there is a Chip that’s enabled with your signature. Overall, if you’re looking for a card that doesn’t require you to pay much for using it, but still allows you to easily travel with it all over the world, this is probably your best option.
The card promises 1.5 bonus points for each dollar you spend. The value of each point amounts to 0,1 cents. To make the things even better for you, in case you happen to have either a checking or a savings account with the Bank of America, you can expect to get 10% more bonus points. It means that in this case your effective rewards rate will amount to 1.65%. This is definitely not bad!
The card also offers a very appealing sign-up bonus of 20,000 online bonus points. You’ll get it if you manage to spend $1,000 with the card during the period of the first 90 days after you open an account. Once you redeem the points, you’ll get $200 statement credit that you can use for you trips ahead.
It also should be pointed out that the card allows you to redeem the points you have for any kind of travel purchase. Everything is quite simple – you book your travel whenever you want and in any way you want. You just use your points redeemed as a statement credit to pay for any of your bookings.
Actually, we believe this card to be more beneficial when it comes down to travelling than the Expedia®+ Card from Citi. This is especially true for those who travel abroad regularly. However, if you’re a Expedia+ client and most of the time your trips are domestic, it’s not so easy to say whether the card is beneficial for you. Well’ anyway you need to certainly think over the question of whether you’d be better off with the Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card before making your final decision.
Expedia®+ Card from Citi vs. Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard®
The Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® is a very popular card for those who love travelling. The reasons for its popularity are quite obvious. The card rewards you 2 miles for every dollar spent. Taking into account the value of each mile that amounts to 0.01$, it means that you get an effective rewards rate of 2%. To crown it all, you’ll also be rewarded 5% more points when redeeming some points you already have on your account.
Keep in mind that the card offers a very straightforward structure of redemption. All you need to do is to go to a website and book a hotel or a flight (or whatever it is that you need for your trip). You can also book via special travel websites if you prefer to book your trips on them. After that, you pay for your booking using the miles that are redeemed as a statement credit. Those looking for a variety of travelling purchases that can be paid for with miles will definitely like the card because there is a long list of such like purchases.
The Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® also offers a great sign-up bonus. It amounts to 40,000 bonus miles. You’ll be rewarded the miles under the condition that you manage to spend $3,000 during the first 90 days of you using the card. This bonus is equal to $400 statement credit. There are no fees for paying with the card abroad and there is a chip technology ensuring that you’ll have no problems when paying with the card in different countries. There is one more thing that’s important to mention – starting from the 2nd year, you’ll have to pay an annual fee of $89.
Summary: Is the Expedia®+ Card from Citi the card you should get?
Well, we think the card is ideal for those who are domestic travelers and those who prefer booking flights and hotels via the official Expedia website. If you’re interested in finding a credit card that’ll be great for you when you travel abroad, this card isn’t for you. As a rule, those who travel abroad prefer to have a credit card in their wallets that implies a wide variety of redemption options. If this is about you, don’t hesitate to keep looking for your ideal card.