The card that gives you flexibility in terms of rewards and an interest free period to enjoy.
As it often happens with the cards offering you rewards, you’ll have to chose between either cash back or miles. This card changes the rules. You can redeem the miles you earn with it as a travel statement credit or cash back. The rate stays the same here. The card is great for those who dislike paying annual fee, but want to earn rewards. For each dollar you spend with the card, you’ll be rewarded 1.5 miles. There are lots of travel rewards cards out there. This is the option for those who are seeking for a low-cost credit card.
- You lose no value whether you choose to redeem your rewards as cash back or you choose to redeem them for your future trip.
- You’re not expected to pay any annual fee as well as any fee for the purchases made abroad.
- You can get a great sign-up bonus.
- You can enjoy flexibility in terms of redemption options.
- There aren’t any luxury perks.
- There are other cards available that offer higher rewards rates.
- There may be problems with using the Discover cards outside of the US.
- Your credit score should either be good or excellent if you want to be approved for the card.
- APR Special Offer: There is no APR for the purchases made during the first 14 month and there is an APR of 10.99% for balance transfer operations carried out within the same period of time.
- Standard APR from 11.99% to 23.99%. The rate can vary. Cash Advance APR amounts to 25.99%, but it’s also a subject to changes.
- There is no fee to pay for the first 12 months, but you’ll have to pay the fee of $95 after that.
- Special Offer: At the end of the 1st year of you using the card, the miles you earned during the period will be doubled.
More information on the card:
- The miles you earn during the 1st year will be doubled at the end of this year. Let’s say you manage to earn 40,000 Miles. It means you’ll get 80,000 Miles.
- You can earn as many miles as you want buying things with the card everyday. You get 1.5x Miles for each dollar you spend.
- You are free to choose when you want to fly and where you want to stay during y9our trip.
- You’re not expected to pay any annual fee.
- You can redeem your Miles as a statement credit to use for your trips ahead.
- The card allows you to freeze your account in case you want to prevent any new purchases, balance transfer and cash advance operations.
- You’re granted a free access to your FICO® Credit Score. You can see the number of recent inquiries and a lot more useful information.
- There is a NEW FEATURE. You’ll be notified in case Di8scover finds out that you’re visiting any of suspicious websites.
- In order to get a more detailed information on the card and conditions that come with it, click on the “APPLY NOW” button.
The reasons for you to consider applying for the card
Even though the card is relatively new to the market and there are a number of other cards offering an effective rate of 1.5%, it has something that makes it worth paying attention to.
- There is a long interest free period. You’re free of any interest to pay for purchases for 14 months after you get the card. You’ll have an APR of 10.99% that applies for the balance transfer operations you carry out during the period of the first 14 months. Actually, it’s rare for travel credit cards to offer an interest free period for their potential cardholders. With this card you’ll be able to make a big purchase and successfully pay it off in full without worrying about the need to pay any interest along the way.
- Flexibility in terms of redemption options. The card is claimed to be a travel reward card. The truth is that it is a combination of both a travel and a cash back card. There are no changes as far as the value of the points earned goes, no matter whether you decide to redeem them as cash back or you choose to use them for your trip ahead. This gives you flexibility. It’s only up to you to decide how you want to use your points. The card will be especially advantageous for those preferring to redeem their points as cash back. It should also be pointed out that when you redeem your points as cash back you can successfully use the sum of money you get to cover your trip expenses.
- There is no minimal number of points that’s allowed to be redeemed. Even if you have only one mile left on your account, you still can redeem it.
- A very attractive sign-up bonus that’s not hard to get. At the end of the first year, all the miles you earn during these 12 months will be doubled. Let’s say you manage to accumulate 40,000 miles on your account. Consequently, you’ll get 40,000 miles at the end of the first year. Besides, if you spend as much as $20,000 within one year of using the card, you’ll get an additional bonus that, once redeemed, will be equal to $300. These are just great bonuses you can get for using the card with no annual fee at all.
- There is a possibility to use in-flight Wi-Fi. This feature isn’t necessary most of the time. Still, if something happens and you have to get access to the Internet while flying, the card will be your best helper. Mind that there is an annual fee of $30 that you have to pay for this feature.
- No fees for making purchases with the card while you’re travelling. This card is just like all the rest Discover cards in terms of foreign fees. It has no fee you’re expected to pay when using it abroad. This is really great especially for those who travel a lot. However, we need to warn you about something. Th card isn’t widely accepted outside the US. That’s why you’d better have an alternative payment method.
The reasons for you to consider applying for a different card
No matter how advantageous the card is, it can’t be the best option for absolutely everyone looking for a travel card with rewards. Below we provide some drawbacks of the card that may matter for you.
- The card isn’t widely accepted outside the US. If you don’t want to pay much for a card that’s more widely accepted, you may be interested in the BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card. This is a Visa card. It means that you’re less likely to have any problems when paying with it in other countries. Besides, the card, like the Discover It Miles card, allows you to earn 1.5 points for each dollar spent. In case you redeem your points earned with the card with the view of using them for your trips ahead, each point’s value amounts to 1 cent. Actually, if you compare the card with other popular travel cards, you’ll find out that it has the broadest definition of the term “travel purchases”.
- The card isn’t that good for people spending big sums of money regularly. The Discover It Miles meets the needs of those who don’t like to spend that big sums of money just perfectly. It’s obvious that for those spending a lot the rate of 1.5% isn’t enough.
For those spending a lot, the Chase Sapphire Reserve℠ is definitely a better option. Some people may disagree with it saying that the card comes with a steep annual fee of $450. The crux of the matter that the fee is easy to make up for. In order to do it, you need to spend at least $5,000 on trips and dining out during the period of one year. You can them redeem the points earned via the official Chase portal and get the best value for them thus paying off the annual fee.
Summary: Is the Discover It Miles travel card the best option you have?
In comparison with its competitors, the card is the best to have for low and middle budget travelers. It’s almost next to impossible to find a card promising a number of benefits for your trips meanwhile not requiring you to pay any annual fee. For those who can afford to spend big sums of money on their trips, the card doesn’t look that much attractive.