The card that allows you to choose from lots of hotels to stay at during your trip.
The card is just what passionate travelers need. It allows cardholders to earn rewards for booking hotels all over the world.
In this article, we’ll throw the light upon the benefits of the card as well as basic features it has to offer and some other cards you may find appealing to you.
Basic features and advantages of the card
Once you start using the card, the purchases you make go under the following rewards rates: 10 Gold points/$1 (for booking and paying for the Carlson Rezidor hotels) and 5 points/$1 (for any kind of other purchases). It’s important to point out that the list of Carlson Rezidor hotels includes more than 1,000 places all over the world. With this card you’ll be able to stay at well-known luxurious hotels and earn rewards rather fast.
Since this is a Premier card, you’re to expect a set of other amazing perks. Let’s see what are the reasons for you to apply for the card:
- As a new cardholder, you have a chance to get 2 sign-up bonuses. One of the things that’s truly amazing about this card is that it offers its cardholders 2 sign-up bonuses. You get the first bonus right after you make your first purchase with the card (no matter what the total sum spent is). In particular, you’ll be rewarded 50,000 points. The 2nd bonus of 35,000 will be credited to your account in case you manage to spend $2,5000 on various purchases with the card within the first 90 days. The total number of points will be enough for you to spend 9 nights for free at the best hotels offered in the list of the reward hotels.
- You’ll be automatically granted Gold Elite status. The status is granted right after you activate your card. The benefits that come with the status include room upgrades, discount on food and drinks as well as 35% additional bonus points.
- Every loyal cardholder is rewarded bonuses. The card actually gives you the reasons for staying loyal. It’s stated that those cardholders that make at least one payment during the new year of using the card will be rewarded 40,000 points. The payment may be minimal. For example, it may be the annual fee you pay for the card.
The reasons for you to consider applying for a different card and other cards you may be interested in
Even though the card may seem ideal to you, the truth is that it has the drawbacks that may cause some doubts concerning whether it’s so beneficial. Below we discuss these drawbacks and provide you with information about other cards that may fit you better.
- The earning options as well as redemption options are quite limited. If you’re not the one who likes staying at the hotels offered by the Club Carlson, it’ll be quite hard for you to earn rewards. besides, the card doesn’t offer you a lot of freedom in terms of redemption options. What we mean to say is that if these 2 points mean a lot for you, you’d better think over the possibility of applying for the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard®.
The card has a straightforward earning bonuses structure – you’ll be rewarded 2 miles for all the purchases you make with it without exceptions. Each point you have accumulated on your account is 0.1 cents worth if you decide to redeem your points as a statement credit. When redeeming, you’ll get additional 5% of points (on top of the number of points you redeem). This offer is valid for the cases when you redeem your points with the view of paying for any purchase that has to do with your trip ahead.
As for the sign-up bonus, with this card you can expect as many as 40,000 bonus miles that are equal to $400 (once you redeem them as a statement credit). Mind that in order to get the bonus you’re required to spend at least $3,000 during the first 90 days of using the card. Since there is no additional fee to pay for the purchases made abroad, the card is your ideal “companion” during your trip.
- There is a fee you need to pay for every purchase you make with the card when travelling. This card comes with the fee of 3% on top of the sum you pay each time. Actually, there are many other cards out there that come with no such fee.
- You’ll have to pay the annual fee starting from the 1st year of using the card. As a rule, travel rewards cards imply the fee that occurs starting from the 2nd year of you using the card. With this card you’re expected to pay $75 starting from the year you get it. Well, maybe it’s not a big deal especially if you’re a passionate traveler who easily manages to offset the fee.
Still, we believe that it’s good when a cardholder has an opportunity to use a card for free for some time. If it sounds like you, you may be interested in learning more facts about the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express.
This card has the annual fee of $95. It applies starting from the 2nd year. As for the effective rewards rates, they are as follows: 5 points/$1 (when you book any of the SPG hotels. Mind that the rate may vary depending on the status you have with the card), 2 points/$1 (for stays at Marriott places) and 1 point/$1 (for any other purchases).
The card also allows you to transfer the points you have to a number of other well-known loyalty programs without any loss of value. This is the flexibility that the majority of travelers look for. However, you need to remember that you get the highest value for your points only when you use them to pay for SPG hotels. In this case, the value of each point amounts to 2.3 cents.
Summary: Is the Club CarlsonSM Premier Rewards Visa Signature® Card worth paying attention to?
If you’re the one who prefers staying at any of the hotels included in the list of Club Carlson, this card will help you accumulate enough rewards to use for your trips ahead. At the same time, if you want more freedom in terms of redemption options available to you, you’d better consider applying for one of the cards we mentioned in this article as alternative options.