The card that offers good perks at no additional price to pay for them.
There are lots of cards out there nowadays that come with great perks. Well, the thing is that these cards often require you to pay a rather high price for using them. Fortunately, there is a card that gives you travel rewards and doesn’t cost anything to carry. We are talking about the Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® Card. This is the best card you can get if you’re looking for relatively high effective rates and no annual fee to pay.
General overview of the card and our opinion
- Potential cardholders are not expected to pay any fee for using the card.
- Each purchase you make with the card abroad goes under the fee of 3%.
- The biggest benefit of the card: You’re granted the Silver status automatically (more information on the feature is provided in the article).
- Sign-up bonus: You’ll be rewarded 75,000 bonus points under the condition that you manage to spend at least $2,000 with the card within the period of time of the first 3 months.
Our opinion: Those who are looking for a certain status that comes with the card and dislike paying annual fees, should take into consideration this card.
The card is beneficial for:
- Those who like staying at Hilton hotels when travelling.
- Those who plan to use the card for long and want to get a long-term value from it.
The card doesn’t fit the following categories of cardholders:
- Cardholders that prefer using their points in order to buy tickets with various airlines.
- Cardholders that want to be able to use the card while travelling without the need to pay any additional fee.
Basic features of the card
Once you get the card, you’ll enjoy the following features:
- You’re automatically granted the Silver status. It means that you can easily get the Gold status. If you think that you need to “upgrade” your status, you need to book at least 4 stays at different hotels with the card (within the period of time of the first 90 days of using it). Alternatively, you’ll be granted the Gold status under the condition that you spend at least $20,000 with the card during 1 year.
- You’ll be able to use the points you have on your account in order to book either hotels or resorts. There are more than 4,800 hotels and 102 resorts to choose from. If you need to use your points for a different purpose, you can convert them. Then you’ll be able to pay with your points for flight tickets and even tickets to special events.
Overall, the card is a low-cost means of earning travelling rewards and getting certain perks. If you’re a loyal Hilton client, you’ll definitely find the card to be extremely advantageous.
The reasons for you to consider applying for the card
The card has lots of features that make it outstanding and very beneficial for potential cardholders. Here are the perks we recommend you paying attention to:
- There is a very appealing sign-up bonus waiting for you. Apart from the bonus of 75,000 bonus points that new cardholders can easily get, the card implies no limits in terms of the maximal number of the rewards you can earn. We’ve found out that each point you have on your account is 0.5 cents worth.
- Those cardholders who prefer staying at Hilton hotels will be rewarded extra bonuses. Everything is simple here. the only requirement you need to meet in order to get that additional bonus of 10,000 points is to spend at least $1,000 booking Hilton places. (You need to spend the sum specified within one year) For those people who are passionate travelers this can be a great offer as well as a chance to save some money towards their next trips.
- Potential cardholders can easily get the Gold status. Since the card automatically grants you the Silver status, it means that you’ve already made the step on your way to get the Gold status. As for the perks you are offered as a member with the Silver status, there are the following benefits to be aware of: every 5th night you book at a Hilton hotel is the night you spend for free, you’ll also be rewarded 15% additional points on top of the points you earn wit the card.
There are two ways for you to get the Gold status. The first one is to book at least 4 stays at Hilton places within the first 90 days. If you think that you’re unlikely to be able to do that, there is one more way. You need to spend at least $20,000 making various purchases with the card during one year. Once you get the status, you can expect 25% more additional points instead of 15% offered to you by the Silver status.
Some other perks for you to remember about
The perks concerning hotel stays, are not all the perks the card promises to those who want to get it. There are the following extra benefits that may be quite useful for you:
- You are free to contact concierge service anytime there is a need to do it. In case you happen to need medical or legal help during your trip or you just have somethings to do right before going on your trip, don’t hesitate to contact the managers who work at the service. They’ll do their best to assist you.
- You’ll get insurance for the card you decide to rent. In case you pay with the card for any of your car rentals, you’ll be protected in case the cars you drive during your trips get damaged or stolen.
- You’ll be able to enjoy the Price Rewind feature the main aim of which is to make sure that you don’t overpay. Once you register any item you buy with the card, the service will try to find any other places where the same item is available for a lower price. This process goes on for 60 days. In case such a place is found, you’ll get a reimburse.
The reasons for you to consider applying for a different card
The card has a number of features that may be not that beneficial for those looking for flexibility in terms of redemption as well as in terms of using it while travelling. We encourage you to have a look at the drawbacks below before applying for the card since these drawbacks may be a big deal for you.
- The points you earn have a low value. We came to the conclusion that the points you’re rewarded with this card are only 0.5 cents worth. That’s not a big value. For example, there is a card from American Express that allows you to earn Starpoints the value of which amounts to 2.3 cents.
- There aren’t many redemption options to choose from. We’ve already mentioned the fact that you don’t earn airline points wit this card. The only way for you to use your points to book a ticket with an airline is to convert the points. However, there is a price you need to pay for it. In other words, we are speaking about the fact that you’ll lose value of your points if you decide to convert them. For example, 10,000 points earned with the card are equal to 1,000 points with Virgin America or 850 miles with US Airways.
- The card charges you a fee for each purchase you make with it while travelling. Using the card abroad may be not a good idea since there is a fee of 3% for each purchase made.
Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® Card in comparison with its competitors
We believe it’s important for you to see how the card compares to several of its competitors. This way you’ll clearly see if the card’s worth it or not.
Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® Card in comparison with the Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card
If your aim is to earn as many rewards with a card as possible for staying at Hilton hotels, you should have a look at the Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card. It is almost the same as the Visa Signature card except for the fact that you’re required to pay $95 each year for using it and that you’re granted the Gold status. thanks to the status, you can earn your rewards faster.
The card also has a bigger bonus to offer to those who want to get it. provided that you manage to spend $2,500 within the first 4 months of using the card, you’ll be rewarded 2 weekend night certificates. You can redeem these certificates and spend some time in really luxurious hotels. All in all, if you think that you’ll easily mange to spend the sum mentioned during the period of time specified, you should definitely go for this card.
Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® Card in comparison with the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
In comparison with the Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® the Starwood card is more beneficial in terms of the value you get for your points (2.3 cents/1 point). Besides, this card allows you to use your points to book and pay for tickets with various airlines (more than 150 airlines). Mind that there are no restrictions in terms of when you should book. You’re free to do it whenever you wish.
Even though the Starwood card is designed so that to give you rewards for stays at hotels, the number of options you have with the card is less than the one you have with the Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® Card. Starwood’s list of hotels includes 1,300 places all over the world while the Hilton’s list includes more than 4,200 options. One more thing you should know is that the Starwood card waives the fee only for the first year of you using the card. After that, cardholders are expected to pay $95 each year.
Summary: Is the Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® Card the card you’re looking for?
Of course, this Hilton card may not be the best compared to other cards at the market. However, it’s still a good deal since it grants you the Silver status automatically and implies no fee to pay each year. For those who want to be able to save some money and earn rewards for stays at Hilton hotels this is the perfect option.