This is the card that allows you to pay off your current debt and has double rewards for you.
The Citi® Double Cash Card stands out as a reliable and rather advantageous card to use. Its flat-rate rewards rate makes it ideal for those who want to get cash back on every item they buy and those who don’t want to bother activating bonus categories.
The most important fact you need to focus on is that the card has no annual fee as well as limits on the number of bonuses you want to earn. In overall, the card gives you 2% cash back: 1% when you make a purchase with it and one more when you pay it off.
The card will meet your needs not only when you use it alone. It may be successfully used with other cards available at the market. For example, those cards offering bonus categories to activate. This way you’ll be able to earn twice as much rewards.
Of course, the card isn’t that all perfect. Like many other cards it lacks certain features that may be important for potential cardholders. For example, there is no sign-up bonus offered and you can’t expect to earn more rewards than estimated according to the rate. As for the balance transfer operations, the card is good for them, too. However, the conditions implied are not perfect and may disappoint some people who plan to often transfer sums to a different account.
If we put the little drawbacks mentioned aside, we’ll find a great card for those who look for a fair rewards rate and cash back that’s easy to get.
Description of the card
- A relatively high rewards rate that applies to any purchase made.
- No annual fee to pay.
- An interest free period for balance transfer operations.
- No sign-up bonus to get.
- No interest free period in terms of purchases.
- The minimal sum you can redeem amounts to $25.
- No fee to pay each year for using the card.
- APR Offer for those applying for the card first time. There is no fee on balance transfer operations you carry out during the first 18 months.
- APR that occurs after the “bonus” period. Standard APR amounts to 14.49 – 24.49%. The rate varies. Cash Advance APR amounts to 26.24% but can also vary. A different APR applies in case you don’t pay off for the purchases made on time. The rate amounts to up to 29.99% but it can also vary. No annual fee is implied.
- Special Offer. There are no special offers for this card.
More information on the card:
- You get cash back twice. The first time is when you buy an item using the card and the second time is when you pay the sum off. In both cases your reward will amount to 1%.
- You don’t get any reward for balance transfer operations.
- You don’t pay any money for carrying out balance transfer operations for the first 18 months. After this period, there will apply a certain APR. The APR that will apply in your case depends on your creditworthiness.
- If you want to see more information concerning balance transfer fees and information on the way balance transfer operations influence the interest the bank gets, click on the “APPLY NOW” button.
- There is no annual fee to pay, as well as there are no bonus categories and caps on cash back.
General information on the features of the card
- You get a cash back of 1% for every dollar you spend.
- You get an additional 1% cash back when paying your purchases off.
- You’re not expected to pay any fee each year.
- You can earn as many bonuses as you want.
- You can redeem once you get the sum of $25 on your account.
- There is a variety of options in terms of redemption.
- For those who often carry out balance transfer operations the card is ideal since there is no fee for them during the first 18th
The reasons for you to consider applying for the card:
- You’re looking for a card with high rewards rate. As a rule, the standard cash back amounts to 1%. This card changes the rules. It doubles the cash back you get. This may serve as a little motivation to you to pay the balance in full as soon as possible. The trick is the following: you’ll get the additional 1% cash back only after you pay off your purchases in full. Of course, many of those looking for a card want to avoid paying interest at any costs. Well, this card gives you that opportunity and even rewards you for doing so.
Our tip: Remember that if you decide to redeem your rewards as a credit statement, you won’t get the additional cash back promised. It’s understandable since this doesn’t mean you pay off your purchases. What it means is that there will be a certain amount of money substracted from your bill. However, this isn’t the reason for disappointment. Let’s say you manage to redeem as much as $1,000 per year. Consequently, you’ll have $10 that you can request as a statement credit. It also means that you’ll get 1.98% of the sum back under the condition that you’ll be paying off each month.
- The card is simple. You, probably, know that there are quite many credit cards out there that imply bonus categories. The categories that you have to activate each quarter of a year. This may be a huge inconvenience for some people. The thing is that you’ll have to keep an eye on whether or not your categories are activated and what new categories there are. Some cards go further than that. They set a limit in terms of the total sum for which the cash back promised applies for. In other words, once you exceed the limit, you’ll get a standard 1% cash back even for the purchases made in bonus categories.
This card is different. There is no need to worry about bonus categories with it. You’ll be constantly getting your cash back without having to think about any limits. There is no need to thoroughly think of the way to use your rewards since they don’t come in miles or bonus points.
The fact that you don’t need to have an excellent credit score is also a benefit that not many cards can boast.
- There are other perks to expect. The card doesn’t imply any fee if you fail to make the first payment on time. In case you register your purchases online, you’ll be notified if the same items you want to buy are available at some other place for a lower price. The card gives you an opportunity to get Citi Private Pass. With this pass you’ll be granted the access to tickets to special events and a number of entertainment options.
The reasons for you to consider applying for a different card
Of course, the drawbacks of the card may not be that important in comparison with its benefits. Still, we believe that you should get all information on the card that there is.
- There is no sign-up bonus. Unfortunately, this card, unlike its competitors, doesn’t offer any sign-up bonus.
- There are no high rewards. It’s great to get twice as much of the cash back promised. However, you still won’t be able to get a cash back of 5%on the sums you spend or even higher. There is no opportunity to increase your rewards.
- There is a fee for the transactions made abroad. Many cards don’t have any fee concerning foreign transactions. This card charges you a 3% fee on the total sum you spend each time while being abroad.
- Be ready to pay a fee for balance transfer operations. Once the bonus period is over, be ready to pay 3% (min. $5) of the total sum you decide to transfer.
- You rewards expire after a certain time. The majority of the cards imply that your rewards have no such like restriction. With the Citi® Double Cash Card, however, the rewards expire in case you don’t use the card for 12 months. If you decide to close the card, make sure that you’ve redeemed all the rewards available on your account. Alternatively, you can make one small purchase with the card at least once a year to ensure that you won’t lose your rewards.
Other options to consider if you feel that the card doesn’t fit you
It’s obvious that the cards that are considered to be one of the top competitors of this card are the ones that come with rewards for purchases in activated categories. There are two major options here if you’re looking for such a card – Chase Freedom® and Discover it® – Cashback Match™. Both of the cards are popular due to the high cash back of 5% in the bonus categories you choose to activate. However, there something to remember about them as well. There is a certain limit on the total sum for which the cash back applies. If you go on making purchases thus exceeding the limit, the purchases will be subjects to 1% cash back only.
As a rule, bonus categories available to activate never change. This is the way it is with the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express. Even though the categories are unchangeable, the reward you can get is higher. You’ll get 6% cash back on the total sum of $6,000 spent within one year. Once the sum is exceeded, the rate of 1% applies. The card is also beneficial for those making big purchases at gas stations (3% cash back). For all the rest purchases, be ready to get 1% cash back. The only drawback of the card is that the reward is provided only if you make purchases at the US supermarkets, gas stations and selected department stores. It also comes with the annual fee of $95.
Our tip: If you prefer to get as much bonuses as possible, you need to consider applying for a card with bonus categories. You can then use it in combination with this card.
There is one more flat-rate cash back card that should be pointed out. The Fidelity® Rewards Visa Signature® Card offer a slightly higher reward than the Citi card, but it requires you to redeem your reward on a Fidelity account. Actually, there aren’t many flat-rate cash back cards that are more beneficial than the Citi card.
If you doubt whether or not to get the card but you really like the offer concerning balance transfer operations, we recommend you finding out more information about the Chase Slate®. It also comes with an interest free period for balance transfer operations.
Is the Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer your best choice?
If you’re looking for a simple card in terms of rewards structure and absence of any limits, the card will definitely suit you. Remember that you can increase the number of the rewards you can earn by combining it with a different card. For example, the card that offers high bonuses for purchases in the categories you activate.