The card is great who travel on long distances.
In case you need a card that’ll allow you to earn rewards and bonuses for booking flights with airlines, it’s important to know as much as possible about loyalty programs offered by the card. In this article, we’ll try to provide you as much information as necessary concerning the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®.
Below there are some key features of the card outlined. Based on these features, you’ll be able to see if this card can meet your needs.
Basic features and advantages of the card that are worth mentioning
Once you start making purchases with the card, you’ll be rewarded 2 miles for each dollar you spent on the purchases with American Airlines and 1 point per dollar for all the rest kinds of purchases. Let’s find out more about the features and benefits of the card that can make it an ideal choice for you.
- Enjoy the status of preferred client when boarding.
- You can check your bags for free.
- Each time you redeem your miles, you get 10% additional miles (off the total number of miles you choose to redeem).
- There is a fee to pay for the privilege of using this card.
- The card is great only for those cardholders who prefer traveling with American Airlines.
- APR Special Offer: No offer for this card.
- Standard APR from 16.99% to 24.99%. The rate can vary. Cash Advance APR amounts to 26.24%, but it’s also a subject to changes. There is also a fee that occurs in case you fail to pay off on time. It varies, but can reach up to 29.99%.
- The annual fee you’re expected to pay after the 12months’ free “bonus” period amounts to $95.
- Special Offer: In case you spend as much as $3,000 within the first 3 months, you’ll be rewarded 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles. However, you need to remember that the bonus miles will expire if not used during a certain period of time.
More information on the card
- Being a new cardholder, you’re to expect a very generous reward in case you meet the requirement mentioned above.
- In case you decide to travel with your friends, you can expect certain perks in terms of checking your bags for free. We are speaking about the fact that you and each of your friends (provided that you all have the same reservation) will be allowed to check 1 bag free of charge. Keep in mind that this offer is only valid for domestic flights.
- Not every credit card with travel rewards allows cardholders to get access to priority boarding. If you’re lucky to have this card, you’ll have this access.
- Be ready to pay a fee for every purchase you make with the card abroad. Actually, this is the feature that may have an impact on your decision on whether you should take the card with you when going to travel.
- You have a chance to save some money if you decide to buy food and beverage during your flights.
- Since there is an additional reward that occurs each time you redeem your bonuses, within the period of 1 year you can get as many as 10,000 additional miles. Keep in mind that this offer is a subject to certain terms.
- You’ll be rewarded double miles in case you decide to book any eligible America Airlines flights and pay for them with this card.
Apart from the general features you’re to enjoy when using the card, there are the following perks that make it really a good choice:
- The card is just great for those who want to save some money when checking bags. The offer states that when travelling in a big company, you and up to 4 more people may have 1 bag checked completely free of charge. The offer is valid under the condition that you all have the same reservation. Even if you check a bag for free once or twice a year (when you have a domestic flight), it’ll be more than enough to make up for the fee you pay for using the card.
- You can take part in a special Mileage Award program. Cardholder are granted the access to the Reduced Mileage Award program that’s said to be an unbelievable benefit. The main idea of the program is to help you save your miles when travelling. This perk is available for certain domestic flights, but the destinations change every month. All in all, you can save up to 7,500 miles each year. That’s quite a big number of miles that you can get more value from when using them for some other purposes.
- You’ll be able to enjoy exclusive Citi perks. Being a Citi cardholder, means that you get perks that aren’t offered by any other card available at the market. For example, there is the Citi Price Rewind features that ensures you get the best deal possible when buying anything. Once you register your purchase, the card will search for places where the same item is available for a lower price. If it finds such a place, you’ll get a refund. You’ll also get the Citi Private Pass that’ll let you book tickets to special events on presale. The list of the events that you can buy tickets for is rather long.
- The card is ideal for using abroad since there are no fees implied. The bank made a decision to drop the fees back in the 2015 thus making the card even more attractive to potential cardholders.
The drawbacks of the card and other options that you may be interested in
Even though the card is very advantageous, especially from the point of view of those who prefer travelling with the American Airlines, it also has some disadvantages to remember about.
- You can use your miles to book tickets with airlines that are included in Star Alliance or SkyTeam. This card is meant for those who like to buy flight tickets either from American Airlines or the partners that are included in the OneWorld Alliance. Consequently, the card won’t be of much use in your case if you like to have more options here.
If you want to get the card that’ll offer you more flexibility, have a look at the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
- The emitting bank promises a very appealing sign-up bonus with the card.
- This card has a design that makes it hard not to be noticed.
- Earn more rewards while travelling or when dining out and using your card to pay for all that.
- You get travel protection at premium level and all the benefits that come with it.
- Be ready to pay the annual fee of $95 starting from the 2nd year of you using the card.
- APR Special Offer: No offer for this card.
- Standard APR from 16.99% to 23.99%. The rate can vary. Cash Advance APR amounts to 25.99%, but it’s also a subject to changes.
- There is no fee to pay for the first 12 months, but you’ll have to pay the fee of $95 after that.
- Special Offer: In case you spend as much as $4,000 within the first 3 months, you’ll be rewarded $625 to spend on your future holidays.
More information on the card
- In order to qualify for the sign-up bonus offered, you need to make sure that you meet the requirement mentioned above.
- The card can boast a rather high rewards rate in case you use the card to pay for your future trips or pay with it at restaurants. In these cases, you’ll get a double number of rewards for each dollar spent. All the rest purchases go under the rate of 1 point/$1.
- As a cardholder you’ll be able to increase the number of bonuses you’re rewarded. The feature has to do with the redemption process.
- This card drops any kind of fees that occur when a cardholder uses it abroad.
- Citi allows all cardholders to transfer points they have to lots of loyalty programs.
- Redemption structure is designed so that you can get additional bonuses each time you redeem your bonuses.
- With this card you can avoid any kind of restrictions in terms of booking your flights.
Apart from the opportunity to book flights with using the rewards that you’re allowed to transfer to well-known loyalty programs of big alliances, you’ll have good effective rewards rates. The rates are as follows: 2 points/$1 (travel expenses) and 1 point/$1 (all the rest purchases). By the way, Chase also has its own platform where you can also look for flights.
The sign-up bonus promised as a nice present for those who apply for the card for the first time is also something to look for. Actually, if you get it, you’ll successfully offset the annual fee implied by the card starting from the second year of using the card.
Summary: Is the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® exactly the card you’re looking for?
The card offers a set of perks that you won’t get with any other card available at the market nowadays. Besides, if you’ve been travelling with American Airline for lots of years (or you plan to become a loyal customer of the airline in the nearest future), the card is definitely the one you need to get.