The card that every passionate traveler should have.
The card becomes beneficial to you the very second you get it. The sign-up bonus that it comes with is undoubtedly the best among those cards that imply an annual fee of less than $100. You earn rewards while travelling and dining out. As for the redemption options, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card gives you flexibility at an unmatched level here – you even have some options that will allow you to increase the value of your rewards.
We believe this is the card that every traveler should have. Below we outline the most important information concerning the card.
- A very big bonus.
- Cool design.
- Earn more rewards while travelling or when dining out and using your card to pay for all that.
- You get travel protection at premium level and all the benefits that come with it.
- Be ready to pay the annual fee of $95 starting from the 2nd year of you using the card.
- APR Special Offer: No offer for this card.
- Standard APR from 16.99% to 23.99%. The rate can vary. Cash Advance APR amounts to 25.99%, but it’s also a subject to changes.
- There is no fee to pay for the first 12 months, but you’ll have to pay the fee of $95 after that.
- Special Offer: In case you spend as much as $4,000 within the first 3 months, you’ll be rewarded $625 to spend on your future holidays.
More information on the card:
- The reward mentioned above will be credited to your account if you redeem it through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. The reward is provided in bonus points (50,000).
- Mind that you get twice as much of the rewards in case you pay with the card for your meals at restaurants and trips ahead. As for all the rest purchases, they’re subjects to the rate of 1 point per each dollar.
- You have a chance of winning more bonus points. You’ll find detailed information on the offer in this article.
- Forget about the need to pay extra money while buying anything abroad.
- The cardholders can transfer the points they earn. There is a wide variety of loyalty programs.
- Enjoy bonuses for redeeming the rewards accumulated on your account.
- You’re free to choose any flights and dates you wish. No restrictions here.
Basic features and reasons for you to consider applying for the card
In case you decide to get the card, you’ll get the following:
- Each time you make purchases with the card when dining out or travelling, you get 2x points for each dollar spent. The number of the points you can get is unlimited.
- Any other purchase with the card will bring you 1 point per dollar spent.
You should be aware of the fact that no annual fee applies for the 1st year only. After that, the fee of $95 applies.
Since this card is meant for those travelling a lot, there is no fee for the purchases made abroad that’s implied. Below you can read a short description of all the advantages the card has.
- The card comes with a truly amazing sign-up bonus. In case you happen to be a new cardholder, there is a big sign-up bonus waiting for you. In order to get it, you only need to spend as much as $4,000 during the first 3 months of you using the card. If you do it, you’ll be rewarded 50,000 points. That’s equal to $625 that you can use for your future trips. Besides, there is an opportunity to get more 5,000 points. They will be credited to your account of you manage to add an authorized user during the first 3 months. Mind that the user should also make at least 1 purchase for you to be able to get your additional bonus.
- The card offers flexibility in terms of redemption options. You’re free to redeem your points as gift cards. In this case, each of the points earned will have a value of 1 cent. Actually it’s not that but, but you’ve got a chance to get a higher value for your bonuses. This is possible only when you choose to redeem them for the trip that’s already booked via the Chase official portal. In this case, the value of each point will be increased up to 1.25 cents.
The Chase official portal is very much alike any other well-known portal used for booking trips. It provides you with information on the flights available for the dates specified. It also allows you to compare the prices. Once you find the flight that you like, you can immediately book it using your points.
Keep in mind that there is a number of partnership programs. You can transfer your points at 1:1 rate to these programs. To make the things even better for you, some programs imply that the value of your points will be increased up to 5 cents per point. The list of the programs can be found on the official website of the bank.
- You get increased value. If you’re one of those who have both Chase Freedom and Chase Sapphire Preferred cards, you’ll be happy to know transfer the rewards from one your account to the another one. The Chase Freedom is a traditional cash back card that allows you to earn a cash back of 5% in bonus categories.
Let’s say you manage to earn as many as 7,500 bonus points per quarter with the Chase Freedom. It means that you’ll have 30,000 points in the end of a year. Here you have 2 options: you can either redeem your points and get $300 in cash or you can transfer them on to your Chasse Sapphire Preferred account and enjoy a statement credit of $375 towards your future trip.
All in all, if you use both the cards, your effective rate for the Chase Freedom increases up to 6.25%.
- There is a mall where you can buy things your need and earn extra rewards. If you like shopping online, you’ll be very interested in the Chase Ultimate Rewards bonus mall. There are also such well-known stores on the platform as Apple, Starbucks and Nordstrom.
The reasons for you to consider applying for a different card
Of course, there is no card that can be ideal for anyone. In case any of the points outlined below describe your needs, you’d better think over the possibility of applying for a different card:
- You need a card that offers more flexibility in terms of booking trips. In case you prefer booking via the website offering you the best deal, you should consider applying the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard®. It comes with a good sign-up bonus and allows you to earn 2 miles for each dollar you spend with the card. You’ll be rewarded the bonus promised under the condition that you meet a certain requirement specified on the official website of the bank and in a cardholder’s agreement.
The Barclaycard, just as the Chase Sapphire Preferred, has no fee that you’re expected to pay during the first year. Once this period of time is over, you’ll have to pay $89 per year. The card has no fees applying for the purchases you make while travelling and there are no time limits in terms of your rewards. In other words, the rewards earned will never expire.
- You need a card that meets the needs of those who don’t spend a lot usually. If you’re a budget traveler, you’d better consider getting the Bank of America® Travel Rewards. It implies no fee for foreign transactions as well as no annual fee at all. It’ll give you an opportunity to earn your rewards everyday. You just need to use the card when making purchases and you’ll get 1.5 points per each dollar you spend. If you want to redeem your points, you can redeem them as a statement credit to be used for your trip ahead. There is also a very attractive sign-up bonus promising you $200 once redeemed as a statement credit.
Summary: Is the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card worth applying for?
The card will be great for you if you spend big sums of money on your trips as well as on dinning out and if you happen to have a Chase Freedom card. However, if you’re not a big spender and you really like flexibility in terms of booking your trips, there are better cards for you out there. Get your travel card before going on a trip. Study the alternative options there are at the market.