The card that allows you to earn more bonus miles.
The card will fit those who want to save some money when planning either an European or a local trip. Besides, there is also an appealing sign-up bonus to expect. Actually, you won’t have to try hard to get the bonus.
General overview of the card
- The fee to pay each year: $95.
- The fee that you’re charged in case you use the card abroad: No fee.
- Airlines you can book tickets with: OneWorld airline alliance partners, Aer Lingus, Alaska Airlines, Meridiana
- Special Offer for new cardholders: In case you spend as much as $3,000 on various purchases during the first 3 months, you’ll be rewarded 50,000 bonus points (Avios). You have a chance to earn additional bonus points (75,000) under the condition that you spend $10,000 within the first 12 months of using the card.
Our opinion: If you’re the one who prefers flying with British Airways, you definitely need to get this card.
The card is advantageous for:
- Those who often book tickets with British Airways.
- Those who spend big sums of money on different purchases (more information on this point is provided below).
- Those who like travelling abroad.
The card isn’t the best option for:
- Those who are looking for a variety of options in terms of domestic flights.
- Those who don’t book tickets with British Airways very often.
Basic features of the card
If you consider applying for the British Airways Visa Signature, you’re to be aware of the following:
- The rewards that you’re earning with the card are called Avios (the singular and plural forms coincide).
- The card promises you a very appealing sign up bonus and gives you a chance to earn additional Avios during the first year of you using the card. The conditions under which you get the rewards are described above.
- For each dollar spent on the purchases made via British Airways you’ll get 3 Avios. For all the rest purchases, the rate of 1 Avios per $1 applies.
Of course, the card doesn’t reward you many points for everyday purchases you make with it. This card is meant for those who want to save some money when booking and buying tickets via British Airways, it’s not meant for everyday use.
The reasons for you to consider applying for the card
The card has a number of perks to offer to its potential cardholders. In particular, there are the following perks you’ll enjoy:
- A rather big sign-up bonus and an opportunity to earn additional Avios. Even if you don’t spend big sums of money regularly, you can easily get the sign-up bonus promised (50,000 Avios). The only requirement here is to spend $3,000 during the first 3 months after you open an account. The card also comes with an additional reward of 75,000 that are credited to your account if you manage the total sum of $10,000 during the first year. The rewards that you can get are enough to make up for the annual fee implied.
- When booking tickets, you can use both your rewards and cash. Let’s say you have earned rewards that are $12 worth. Of course, it won’t be enough to pay for the tickets you want to get in full. However, it’s possible for you to use this sum as a discount. You’re allowed to redeem any number of rewards you want. Actually, there are no other cards that offer that much freedom in terms of it.
- You can get Travel Together tickets. You’ll be rewarded such a ticket if you spend as much as $30,000 with the card during the period of 1 calendar year. The reward means that you can bring a friend with you on a flight booked or purchased with the help of Avios. Keep in mind that fees and taxes are still to be paid. You’ll only be provided a ticket itself free of charge. Besides, you’ll need to use this ticket within the period of 2 years after the ticked was issued.
The card is great for those who often travel internationally
The card can boast a number of features that passionate travelers will definitely find advantageous. Below you’ll find a short description of these features:
- You’re not expected to pay any extra fees for using the card while travelling. This feature is just what a traveler needs since there certainly will be shopping to do and presents to buy for family. With this card you won’t have to worry about the charges that occur for purchases made abroad.
- In this card the chip and pin technology is implemented. The technology ensures that the card will be accepted widely when you’re travelling abroad. It prevents any fraudulent activity and serves as a certain security feature that’s meant to verify your purchase before carrying any operations out.
The reasons for you to consider applying for a different card
Of course, this card has a lot to offer for passionate travelers, but it can’t be perfect for everyone. Before trying to get it, we recommend you take into account the following drawbacks:
- You’re allowed to spend the Avios you have on your account only for domestic flights. If you want to use your bonus points to pay for an international flight, you need to transfer them to the loyalty programs of the British Airways partners. As for the domestic flights, the choice is quite limited. You only have American Airlines and Alaska Airlines to choose from. Consequently, if you want to have a wide array of options in terms of domestic airline companies, the card won’t be that good for you.
- Once your account is confirmed to be inactive, all the Avios you have will expire. It’s stated that if you don’t use your points at least once in 3 years, you’ll simply lose them. This doesn’t sound great for those who use to accumulate rewards for a long time so that to be able to make a big purchase with them.
- There is a fee you’ll need to pay for using the card. It’s common for travel rewards cards to charge cardholders annual fees. This card isn’t an exception. If you’re looking for a travel card with no such fee, you may be interested in finding out more about the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card.
- There is a number of travel charges that are not covered by the rewards you earn. You can redeem your bonus points to pay for tickets, but you’ll still be required to pay taxes as well as any additional fees. In particular, you’re expected to pay from $682 to $1,250 for one adult booking a seat in economy class. However, this drawback may be not a big deal since you can try to find flights that don’t imply any additional fees.
British Airways Visa Signature® Card in comparison with its competitors
British Airways Visa Signature® Card in comparison with the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
The British Airways Visa Signature® Card allows you to book only those seats that re meant to be booked with rewards. Of course, if you’re going to travel during summer, you’re likely to find no seats available. If you’re looking for a more flexible card that’ll allow you to book flights anytime as well as any seat you want.
This card comes with no fee to pay during the first year after you open an account. Starting from the second year, you’re required to pay $95.
British Airways Visa Signature® Card in comparison with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
The Chase card seems to be more beneficial due to the fact that it allows you to transfer the points you have not only to the OneWorld airline partners’ loyalty programs, but also to the programs of such well-known alliances as SkyTeam and Star Alliance. Actually, the card comes with one of the biggest list of redemption options including the opportunities to use your rewards to pay for hotels.
However, the thing is that if you really like flying with the British Airways, you’ll earn points faster with the British Airways Visa Signature card. The card rewards you 3 Avios for each dollar you spent getting ready for your trip. All the rest purchases go under the rate of 1 point per dollar. As for the Chase card, it offers the following rewards rates: 2x points for every dollar you spent on the purchases you need for your trip as well as when paying with the card at restaurants and 1 point for each dollar spent on all the rest purchases.
Summary: Is the British Airways Visa Signature® Card worth paying attention to?
If you’re the one who prefers travelling with OneWorld alliance, you’ll definitely get lots of benefits out of using the card. Besides, it doesn’t really matter how many Avios you have on your account. The rewards program of the card allows you to redeem any number of points you have and use them towards your purchase. Since there is a very appealing sign-up bonus welcoming new cardholders and an additional bonus you can also expect once you get the sign-up bonus, you’ll easily make up for the annual fee you’re expected to pay.